An employer in Almaguin is looking for a Roads Labourer!
For more about this job please call 1-800-461-5541
Application Deadline: March 5, 2021
Hours of Work: On-Call Basis
Wages: $16.81 to 19.10 per hour
Duties & Qualifications:
- Discussing plans, priorities and work schedules with Road Superintendent,
including the determination of the most useful equipment to perform certain jobs.
Consultation occurs frequently to promote teamwork but with the understanding
that Road Superintendent is responsible for making final operational decisions.
- Carrying our work assignments, using a variety of vehicles, heavy equipment,
hand and power tools. Responsible for the safe, effective use of equipment and
for using the correct equipment to perform all jobs.
- Undertaking roads and public works operations including:
- Snow Removal
- Culvert installations
- Road Base Preparation
- Cutting Grass
- Maintaining roads in good condition for safe, hazard-free driving
- Bridge and culvert maintenance
- Removing hazardous and dead trees and tree limbs from roadways and
areas adjacent to roads
- Repairing and installing road signs
- Repairing and installing fencing, guard rails, and guideposts
- Above duties are representative of a typical position and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
- Maintaining the Municipality’s landscape in a healthy and attractive condition.
- Responding to emergencies, including fire related emergencies.
- Using initiative and judgement when on the job and is expected to operate without
direct supervision when the task has been defined.
– conducts trouble-shooting operations
– observes hazards and corrects or reports them to the Road Superintendent
- Advising the Road Superintendent on operational issues and making appropriate
recommendations including recommendations to halt operations when it appears
that the Public Works Staff is at risk due to weather conditions, fatigue or unsafe
- Ensuring that equipment, vehicles and tools are maintained in safe operating
- follows acceptable maintenance and service schedules according to
- inspects equipment, vehicles and tools regularly to determine necessary
repairs/replacement of defective or unsafe items.
- recommends major repairs and/or replacement of vehicles to the Road
- Polite, tactful relations with the public.
- Adhering to health and safety practices and policies of the municipality.
- Undertaking training in public works methods and the use of special or new
- Performing other related duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Ability to operate a variety of expensive, sensitive equipment safely, effectively
- Good knowledge of equipment and its capability; what it can and cannot do;
ability to identify operating problems.
- Good judgement.
- Good knowledge of routine work assignments gained from training and experience.
- Good physical condition.
- Ability to cope with stress
Job Type: Seasonal
Part Time Hours Per Week: On-Call
Advertising Method: General Ad
This job advertisement is from an external source. Employment North is not responsible for the accuracy, the currency, and reliability of the content; promises made by third parties are not the responsibility of Employment North.
To register for free services like resume development, computer access, workshops, apprenticeship information, career planning, telephone, fax and photocopying, job / volunteer / training searches, job matching/placements/incentives and labour market information please call or visit our Gravenhurst office at (705) 687-6350 OR our Sundridge office at (705) 384-1110 or Toll free: 1-800-461-5541.