Campfire Circle in Muskoka is looking for a Canoe, Kayak and Paddle Board Instructor to join their Summer Staff Team in 2023.
Need help applying to this position? Or updating your resume or cover letter? Contact Employment North toll free at (800) 461-5541 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Reporting to the Coordinator, Water Activities & the Manager, Overnight Programs, and working closely with the rest of the summer staff team and in support of our volunteers, this role will work with co-instructors and sessional volunteers to provide safe and engaging Outdoor Recreation and sport experiences for parents/guardians and campers ages 0 to 18 at family or camper overnight camps with a valuable paddle sport (canoe, kayak, and stand-up paddleboard) 2 experience. This role will focus primarily on instructing the canoeing and kayaking program but will also oversee and support facilitation of the out trip and paddle-boarding programs.
- Development and instruction of Canoe, kayak, and paddle boarding programming that is: safe, creative, challenging, accessible, experiential, ability and age appropriate, environmentally friendly, and fun.
- Support Canoe Tripping program to teach and coach volunteers and campers in canoeing skills.
- Maintain equipment, track inventory, and report on needs for program growth
- Work with the Waterfront Coordinator and Overnight Program Manager to adapt and adjust curriculum and activities from session to session based on feedback and experiences.
- Adhere to cleaning procedures and logging as trained and directed
- Set up and prepare activities and activity areas in accordance with, but not limited to the standards of the camp, the guidelines of the Ontario Camps Association (OCA), and the organization’s COVID protocols
- Ensure that camp programs incorporate camp values and traditions
- Support all camp programming in addition to designated program area
- Support in lifeguarding of recreational waterfront swimming activities when needed
- Fill as instructor for other waterfront activities when team members are on time off or unable to fulfill their duties.
- Demonstrate knowledgeable and skill in standards and procedures at all waterfront areas
- Demonstrates strong skill level in lifeguarding standards, practicing preventative guarding
- Follow safety procedures as trained and instructed and provide first aid and water rescue as required
- Assist with swim/boat testing for all campers, staff and volunteers
- Support canoe/kayak/paddle board emergencies and emergency procedures
- Participate in risk management with the program area and Site emergency procedures
- Assist in facilitation of on-site volunteer trainings.
- Support the planning, prepping, and execution of camp wide programs, theme, and other activities.
- Support, coach, and lead volunteers in achieving safe, fun, and engaging programs.
- Assist volunteers in providing general support and supervision to campers and families.
- Attend and participate in various program areas, staff meetings, and socials as required.
- Support with summer bus programs and bus chaperoning as needed
- Support the task of ensuring the program binder is kept up to date (activity plans, inventory, and camper records.
- Communicate Canoe, Kayak, and Paddleboarding needs and concerns to Waterfront Coordinator and Overnight Program Manager
- Report on the achievement of site-specific program plans and Canoe/Kayak/Paddleboarding program plans.
- Ensure accident/incident report forms are completed.
- Produce an end of summer report capturing daily procedures, reflections on the summer and notes for future staff members in this role.
- Help build and maintain a positive, inclusive and supportive camp community, ensuring that lines of communications are accessible, open and positive and acting as a role model within the camp community.
- Identify staff/volunteer concerns as they arise and alert the Camp Director and Manger of recurring or unresolved issues.
Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by their Manager or their designate
- Experience as a staff or volunteer in a camp environment and/or working with children in a recreational setting
- Experience working with children with disabilities and/or additional physical, behavioural, and/or psychosocial needs as well as experience facilitating adaptive programming.
- Experience instructing canoe/kayak skills and programming
- Valid NL certification for the duration of the contract or willing & able to successfully take the certification (paid for by Campfire Circle).
- Valid Standard First Aid & CPR-C certification for duration of the contract or willing & able to successfully take the certification (paid for by Campfire Circle).
- Current police reference check and vulnerable sector screening. Advantageous Criteria a) Overnight summer camp experience.
- Pool or waterfront lifeguarding experience c) ORCKA Flat water Instructor Certification or willing & able to successfully take the certification (paid for by Campfire Circle).
- Experience in outdoor education or adventure education
- Demonstrated ability to work with children with serious illnesses and an f) understanding of how illness impacts the entire family
- Demonstrated commitment to volunteerism or volunteer sector
- A current G or G2 Class driver’s license, and eligible to be insured under camp policy
- This position requires living at the Muskoka or Rainbow Lake campsite for the duration of the contract – room and board is provided. Routine evenings and weekend commitments are required.
In consideration of the population Campfire Circle serves, the incumbent is a non-smoker. Physical Requirements: The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions and supporting camp life require the following physical demands: lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. The job is largely performed in an outdoor environment, working at heights. The minimum physical requirements for this position include:
- Able to lift canoes/kayaks with assistance •Able to physically assist camper participants in the water and from the water • Able to work outdoors in a waterfront environment for extended periods of time in a variety of weather conditions • Able to lift 20 kg
TO APPLY Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by email at email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line the title of the role(s) you are applying for.
This job advertisement is from an external source. Employment North is not responsible for the accuracy, the currency, and reliability of the content; promises made by third parties are not the responsibility of Employment North.
To register for free services like resume development, computer access, workshops, apprenticeship information, career planning, telephone, fax and photocopying, job / volunteer / training searches, job matching/placements/incentives and labour market information please call or visit our Gravenhurst office at (705) 687-6350 OR our Sundridge office at (705) 384-1110 or Toll free: 1-800-461-5541.