Campfire Circle in Muskoka is looking for a Cabin Counsellor.
Need help applying to this position? Or updating your resume or cover letter? Contact Employment North toll free at (800) 461-5541 or email email@example.com
- Work with team of co-counsellors to provide a fun, safe, engaging camp experience for assigned group of Campers (ages 6-18)
- Ensure safety and well-being of Campers while on-site by providing supervision at all times. Staff will be expected to provide support to Campers in the completion of daily activities and personal care.
- Support campers through behaviour management strategies that fit the individualized needs of each camp participant
- Promote camper independence, facilitate peer-to-peer interactions, support the creation of fun, new, inclusive, and accessible programs within cabins. and help foster an inclusive camp
- Participate in risk management with the program area and site emergency procedures
- Support the planning, prepping, and execution of camp wide programs, theme, and other activities.
- Attend and participate in various program areas, staff meetings, and socials as required.
- Assist in facilitation of on-site volunteer training.
- Support with summer bus programs and bus chaperoning as needed
- Adhere to cleaning procedures and logging as trained and directed
- Set up and prepare activities and activity areas in accordance with, but not limited to the standards of the camp, the guidelines of the Ontario Camps Association (OCA), and the organization’s COVID protocols h) Ensure that camp programs incorporate camp values and traditions
- Communicate and collaborate with other co-counsellors to ensure supervision, safety, and well-being of assigned group of Campers
- Ensure that camper notes are kept up to date and reflect information relevant to supporting them at programs.
- Communicate Program needs and concerns to Camp Managers and Directors in a timely manner.
- Ensure accident/incident report forms are completed.
- Produce an end of summer report capturing daily procedures, reflections on the summer and notes for future staff members in this role
- Help build and maintain a positive, inclusive and supportive camp community, ensuring that lines of communications are accessible, open and positive and acting as a role model within the camp community.
- Identify staff/volunteer concerns as they arise and alert the Camp Director and Manager of recurring or unresolved issues.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by their Manager or their designate.
We require attestation of childhood vaccinations, updated Police Record with Vulnerable Sector Screening, and proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 for all of our staff.
We also require TB testing for all our program facing staff. Additionally, all of our staff are required to be currently eligible to work in Canada.
- Experience as a staff or volunteer in a camp environment and/or working with children in a recreational setting.
- Experience working with children with disabilities and/or additional physical, behavioural and/or psychosocial needs as well as experience facilitating adaptive programming.
- Valid Standard First Aid & CPR-C certification for duration of the contract or willing & able to successfully take the certification (paid for by Campfire Circle).
- Experience creating and facilitating adaptive programming.
- Bronze Cross or NL certification.
- Overnight summer camp experience
- Demonstrated ability to work with children with serious illnesses and an understanding of how illness impacts the entire family
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI), Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NVCI), or similar certification or training
- Experience in lifts and transfers and the use of mobility devices
- Demonstrated commitment to volunteerism or volunteer sector.
- A current G or G2 Class driver’s license and eligible to be insured under camp policy:
This position requires living at the Muskoka campsite for the duration of the contract – room and board is provided. Routine evenings and weekend commitments are required In consideration of the population Campfire Circle serves, the incumbent is a non-smoker.
Physical Requirements: The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions and supporting camp life require the following physical demands: lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. The job is largely performed in an outdoor environment, working at heights. As part of this role, you may also be asked to sleep in a tent and cook outdoors over a fire (with assistance) through participation in an overnight camping trip or overnight canoe trip with your cabin group. The minimum physical requirements for this position include:
- Able to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Able to work at heights while supporting campers on High Ropes and Challenge courses • Able to physically assist camper participants in the water
- Able to lift 20kg TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line the title of the role(s) you are applying for.
This job advertisement is from an external source. Employment North is not responsible for the accuracy, the currency, and reliability of the content; promises made by third parties are not the responsibility of Employment North.
To register for free services like resume development, computer access, workshops, apprenticeship information, career planning, telephone, fax and photocopying, job / volunteer / training searches, job matching/placements/incentives and labour market information please call or visit our Gravenhurst office at (705) 687-6350 OR our Sundridge office at (705) 384-1110 or Toll free: 1-800-461-5541.