An employer in Almaguin is looking to hire an Assistant Landfill Attendant!
This is a casual position, alternating Saturdays/Sundays and summer Statutory Holidays and may include weekdays as required.
For more about this job please call 1-800-461-5541
The Assistant Landfill Site Attendant is responsible for assisting with the operating, maintenance, and development of the landfill sites, including the operation of heavy equipment, while ensuring compliance with Workplace Health and Safety, environmental and municipal regulations and policies. This position will work at both landfill locations by schedule and will consult with the Public Works Superintendent and/or Landfill Foreman on all operational matters.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES:
1. Greets people bringing trash to the landfill and verifies residency and permitted access.
2. Customer service, takes inquiries from the public, in person or by phone.
3. Examines incoming material to ensure that prohibited waste is not contained therein, and directs
vehicles to appropriate dumping locations.
4. Ensures proper disposal of asbestos and other regulated waste.
5. Assists customer to place material designated dump areas, and to sort out regulated waste (ie. Hazardous waste) and recyclables.
6. Collects tipping fees based on the tipping fee schedule as adopted by the Municipality of Magnetawan. Provides receipts as required and remits both payment and a summary of monies received to the municipal office.
7. Instructs the public to separate all wood, steel, electronics, tires and any other recyclable materials and to place in the appropriate locations within the landfill site.
8. Ensure compliance with all government agency and municipal bylaws and regulations as required to satisfy Ministry of Labour and the Ministry of Environment.
9. Operate all heavy equipment, i.e. bulldozer, compactor or loader as required to compact and cover trash.
10. To snow plow dumping areas and the entrances to the landfill to facilitate normal traffic using the landfill.
11. To apply cover as regulated to meet the C of A requirement of the landfill site.
12. Maintains order and cleanliness of the landfill and buildings, cuts grass and oversees any burning of brush.
13. Arrange for next phase or dumping locations as each zone fills up.
14. Works with Consulting Engineers for landfill maintenance and wells installation and sampling.
15. Maintains landfill equipment (i.e. oil changes, cleaning, greasing and lubing, etc.)
16. Works in unison with Landfill Site Attendant to manage both landfill sites and ensure staffing requirements are met.
17. Other duties as related to landfill as assigned. The Assistant Landfill Attendant position consults with the Landfill Attendant to ensure a common work plan and a coordinated approach to site objectives.
18. Educates landfill site users in regards to recycling and placement of hazardous materials in designated containers.
19. Assists in clean-up of nuisance litter in areas adjacent to the landfill site, such as windblown, and bear litter.
20. Other duties as related to landfill and/or public works as assigned.
1. Secondary School Graduation Diploma (grade 12), is preferred.
2. First AID/CPR, WHMIS, Small Landfill Operators Certificate (or agree to get as soon as practical) and Bear Awareness Safety Certification.
3. Understanding of waste management process.
4. Must possess and maintain Ontario Class DZ driver’s license.
5. Good communication skills to deal with public and municipal interactions.
6. Requires own vehicle to attend both landfill locations
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONIDITIONS:
1. Must be in good physical health, and capable of performing all work, including occasional lifting, pushing and pulling heavy objects (up to 25kg), working with various chemicals and working in confined spaces.
2. Work in all types of weather, times, and environmental conditions.
3. Requirement for sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight
4. Must wear required Personal Protective Equipment (steel toed boots with minimum 8” uppers and Hi-Viz type Class 3 traffic vest).
5. Must follow the Landfill Site employee rules.
This job advertisement is from an external source. Employment North is not responsible for the accuracy, the currency, and reliability of the content; promises made by third parties are not the responsibility of Employment North.
To register for free services like resume development, computer access, workshops, apprenticeship information, career planning, telephone, fax and photocopying, job / volunteer / training searches, job matching/placements/incentives and labour market information please call or visit our Gravenhurst office at (705) 687-6350 OR our Sundridge office at (705) 384-1110 or Toll free: 1-800-461-5541.