The Municipality of Magnetawan is currently seeking applications for the position of
TEMPORARY – Administrative Assistant – General and Finance
(expected to be between 12 to 18 months)
with an anticipated start date of: June 20, 2022
How to Apply: Send your cover letter and resume outlining your qualifications by email in a pdf file to Nicole
Gourlay, Deputy Clerk – Planning and Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Need help applying to this position? Or updating your resume or cover letter? Contact Employment North toll free at (800) 461-5541 or email email@example.com
For more about this job please call 1-800-461-5541
The Temporary Administrative Assistant – General and Finance is the primary customer service
representative for the Municipality of Magnetawan and provides secretarial, clerical, treasury,
and related support to the Municipality. As such, Magnetawan requires a person with
exceptional interpersonal skills, strong familiarity with office technology and software, and an
ability to survey the working landscape for opportunities to increase efficiency and improve
The Temporary Administrative Assistant – General and Finance position offers an excellent
introduction to municipal administration and provides insight into the ways in which the
Municipality of Magnetawan supports our residents and visitors.
Front Counter / Office (30%)
• Greet, assist, and/or direct visitors and the general public in a knowledgeable and courteous manner
• Independently resolve customer issues or forward as required
• Receive, direct and relay email, telephone, and fax messages
• Collect and process payments (i.e. internet, cash, cheque) and issue receipts
• Respond to zoning inquiries by providing forms/policies, locate information, mapping, and data
• Coordinate facilities bookings
• Process licenses and permits (e.g., trailer licenses, dog tags, landfill cards, entrance, 911 numbers)
• Update address changes and building reports for MPAC
• Set alarms and lock doors for security of facilities
• Manage the telephone system, including updating daily answering service messages
• Monitor the firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail account and deals with inquiries as necessary
• Pickup and sort daily mail, open and sort
• Assist with assembling and issuing of tax bills and tax collection, assist with issuing late tax payment
notices, and reply to tax inquiries.
• Perform general clerical tasks including: filing – paper and electronic, data entry, public notices,
advertisements, tenders, and other tasks as may be assigned
• Coordinate purchasing, repairs and installations of office equipment and office supplies
• Scan records to server for records management
• Maintain the annual by-law index for the office and website
• Assist with public notifications, newsletters, postings, flyers and other advertisements as needed
• Assist with year-end reports for outstanding trailer and encroachment licenses
• Manage Municipal complaints and/or inquiries systems
• Provide assistance to the Building Department
• Update municipal website and social media platforms as needed
• Assist with Planning and Procurement postings and processes including notifications
• Assist with Clerk’s Department as needed including Council and Public Meeting administration
• Balance cash receipts, and complete deposit documents
• Maintain notes under the VADIM computer program
• Process accounts payable – data entry, cheque printing, filing
• Assist the Treasurer to generate tax receivable reports, tax certificates and process monthly
penalty/interest on outstanding taxes
• Maintain petty cash and emergency fund cash floats
• Assist the Treasurer as needed
• Participate in programs, and courses for training and professional development
*This position, as with others, requires the staff member to perform other related duties as may be assigned*
• Completion of a college program in business, public administration, office administration or related field
or equivalent or comparable work experience, preferably in a municipal office setting.
• Demonstrated knowledge of office and bookkeeping procedures.
• Strong skill-set working with computers and office technology, including Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe,
as well as website and social media platforms.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information.
• Ability to work independently and to collaborate and participate effectively as a member of a team.
• Adaptability and flexibility within a constantly changing work environment.
• Demonstrates sound work ethic, attention to detail, ability to exercise sound judgement and initiative, and
ability to prioritize work and multi-task.
• An understanding of relevant municipal legislation, policies, and procedures is an asset.
• Experience with Vadim/iCity, GIS systems and other municipal software an asset.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
• Work is conducted in an office environment with some exposure to criticism from the public.
Requirement to balance priorities, verbally communicate to exchange information, deal with constant
interruptions and changing demands during the course of a work day; occasions whereby an extremely
short amount of time is available to complete a project or task (regularly); wide variety of tasks requiring
ability to manage multiple projects; while maintaining a pleasant, professional and positive demeanor.
• Requirement for sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for
prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push,
and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand
movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; to travel to other locations; to
operate office equipment and vehicle;
The Municipality of Magnetawan is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are
available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in
This job advertisement is from an external source. Employment North is not responsible for the accuracy, the currency, and reliability of the content; promises made by third parties are not the responsibility of Employment North.
To register for free services like resume development, computer access, workshops, apprenticeship information, career planning, telephone, fax and photocopying, job / volunteer / training searches, job matching/placements/incentives and labour market information please call or visit our Gravenhurst office at (705) 687-6350 OR our Sundridge office at (705) 384-1110 or Toll free: 1-800-461-5541.